Cold temperatures can freeze the water in your pipes causing the pipes to burst and leak. Take steps in your home today to prevent your pipes from freezing.
1. Locate your water service shut off valve so you can shut off water if a pipe breaks.
If a pipe does freeze and burst, you want to locate your water service shut off valve to quickly shut water off in your home and minimize damage. This valve is often located near your water meter in your basement where your water line comes into your home.
2. Identify areas of your home that are not protected from cold weather.
Check rooms that are not insulated, rooms without access to heat and openings in doors and windows. Basements and rooms open to the elements are most vulnerable to frozen pipes.
3. Eliminate access to cold air:
- Repair broken windows
- Insulate all exterior walls
- Seal any openings near doors and windows
4. Protect exposed pipes and your water meter by wrapping them with insulation.
We replace over 200 meters (at the customers’ expense) every winter due to freezing temperatures!
5. Close inside valves supplying outdoor hose bibs.
1. After shutting off the supply, remove any drain caps so there is no water left in the line.
2. Go outside and make sure no hoses are attached to the outside faucets. This is necessary even for freeze proof faucets.
3. Open all outside faucets that have been shut off from the inside.
If Your Pipes Freeze
- Shut off water immediately at the service shut off valve.
- After water is shut off, you can heat frozen pipes with a hair dryer, space heater, or hot water. Do not use open flames and do not leave heaters unattended.
- Once thawed, turn water back on and check for leaks. Frozen pipes can cause small cracks in pipes, joints, and water meters.
- Work with a licensed plumber to repair any broken pipes.
- If your water meter breaks, call 888-510-0606 to schedule a repair or replacement.
Check for Leaks
For any water or sewer emergency please call 888-510-0606 Ext. 2 or 3. These lines are monitored 24 / 7.
- Freezing temperatures can lead to more water main breaks. Report any leaks or loss of service immediately.
- Broken water pipes in the winter can cause ice patches in roads and lead to hazardous driving conditions
- Be prepared to provide a description of the problem, the address or location, a contact name, and a phone number.
- If you are reporting a problem that is not your property, you can call us at 888-510-0606 or email us at email@example.com. We also track SeeClickFix.com for reports.